I need to do a better job of writing down my funny Kindergarten stories because it's a neverending fountain of fun. :)
Last week, I had a few minutes to kill with the little turkeys before specials (PE, Spanish, etc.). Sometimes I'll do "challenge questions" that they love- they are basically review questions of things we're learning that week. If a student gets an answer right, he/she gets a sticker for their chart.
The question was "What was the name of the nice Native American man who helped the Pilgrims with lots of things in the New World?"
One of my little guys raises his hand and I call on him- he replies with a straight face and frankness- "Jesus."
I had to hold in my smile/laughter as I commended him for a good try but no, Jesus was not a Native American.
The same day, a student presented his "spotlight of the week" poster. This little boy is a Christmas baby- a few of my kids couldn't comprehend someone having the same birthday as Jesus. "But that's JESUS'S BIRTHDAY?!!"
Too funny. Always awkward when the religious topics come up in a public/non-religious school setting. :)

Last week, I had a few minutes to kill with the little turkeys before specials (PE, Spanish, etc.). Sometimes I'll do "challenge questions" that they love- they are basically review questions of things we're learning that week. If a student gets an answer right, he/she gets a sticker for their chart.
The question was "What was the name of the nice Native American man who helped the Pilgrims with lots of things in the New World?"
One of my little guys raises his hand and I call on him- he replies with a straight face and frankness- "Jesus."
I had to hold in my smile/laughter as I commended him for a good try but no, Jesus was not a Native American.
The same day, a student presented his "spotlight of the week" poster. This little boy is a Christmas baby- a few of my kids couldn't comprehend someone having the same birthday as Jesus. "But that's JESUS'S BIRTHDAY?!!"
Too funny. Always awkward when the religious topics come up in a public/non-religious school setting. :)



Lovely! They are fab at this age - I so love to hear what the little ones have to say.
ReplyDeleteOf course, Jesus and Christmas are not "religious topics" to those small people - they are just part of their lives, like Mom, Dad, school, Grandma, the playground... just life. It's only the grown-ups who are all hung up about separating everything into neatly categorised and politically correct boxes.
I love the bit about Jesus' birthday. My mum used to put a candle on the Christmas cake, so my small nieces and nephew could sing "Happy Birthday Baby Jesus" and blow out the candle. They loved it and it made the day more significant for them.
Thanks for sharing - made me smile!
love it! When asked "who else was at the first thanksgiving?" One of my 1st graders responded "George Washington!"
ReplyDelete