Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Telling the Kinders...

I thought I would do a post about how I told my little (not so little) class of 23 five year olds about the impending Coffey bean.  

I chatted with some teacher friends about how they told their classes.... with primary, you have to be direct.  So I decided on reading them one of my favorite books that I'm sure will take on even more meaning now:  The Boss Baby  by Marla Frazee.


Book description courtesy of Amazon: "The boss baby is used to getting his way—drinks made to order 24/7, a private jet, and meetings around the clock. But when his demands aren’t getting proper responses, he has to go to new lengths to achieve the attention he deserves."

So I read the kids the book, and then told them that I had exciting news to share- that Mr. Coffey and I are having our own baby.  The reactions were mixed- many excited, many unmoved, many concerned about how the news truly concerned them- haha they were quite funny.  Being around 13 weeks at the time, I showed them a measurement with my fingers of about how big the baby was and they were amazed.  

Since breaking the news, some kids will ask "How big is your baby now?" or "When is the baby coming again?"  Others have informed me that they "can't WAITTTTT for the baby to get here."  I have a student who has a baby sibling due 6 days before me so that's fun- will be her first brother or sister. :) 

The other funny thing at school is how quickly the news spreads- before I knew it, I had former Coffey alumni coming to my door flabbergasted by the news- wanted to hear the lunchroom and playground rumors confirmed.  I informed that it was true, there REALLY was a baby in there...

A former student of mine who is in 1st now and also quite bright asked me very candidly if you have to PLAN to have a baby.  I said "Well, most people do but you don't have to necessarily..." treading into NOT good waters... I told her that when you want one you can have one but the rest should be a convo with her mom!

Anyways. Kids are funny and I'm excited to have one but also a little scared. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments brighten my day! thank you! :)