Definitely one of those downer teacher days. I am wiped.
I've found that one of the most frustrating things in teaching isn't the grading, lesson planning, organization, conferences, report cards, or the kids- it's the parents. Or some, I should say. I am mentally exhausted and left with a feeling of hopelessness when I have a student who I am going 150% for at school but know that nothing will be returned at home. I'm sure many of you know the feeling. I will continue to do all I can for these types of students within my four walls but it's disheartening knowing that my efforts stop (or it feels that way) when the student heads home.
My report cards are done and ready to be stuffed- they go home Friday. Conferences are next week- I may be strange but I absolutely enjoy parent-teacher conferences. Part of it has to do with the three day week for the kids.... :) but the majority of it has to do with the interaction with the families. It is so insightful sitting down with the moms, dads, whoever- gives me a whole new perspective on the child- for better and for worse.
On another note, who is excited for Halloween to be on a Monday??!!! hehe Wow... that will be interesting. We will also be celebrating 50's day that week, as well (which is so fun, I love it- a sock hop and root beer floats? Yes.)
In my 5% of my other life (other than my teaching life, that is), things are great. I wish I had more time to craft and to cook- currently cooking a pizza in the oven since Chris is gone- not good...- but I'm averaging 2-3 good home-cooked meals a week- not bad. Currently making this yummy recipe: pepperoni rigatoni from a friend from college's blog (she's a teacher with twins- guess I could be busier!!) :)
Hope all's well in your world. As for me, pizza and the couch it is.

I've found that one of the most frustrating things in teaching isn't the grading, lesson planning, organization, conferences, report cards, or the kids- it's the parents. Or some, I should say. I am mentally exhausted and left with a feeling of hopelessness when I have a student who I am going 150% for at school but know that nothing will be returned at home. I'm sure many of you know the feeling. I will continue to do all I can for these types of students within my four walls but it's disheartening knowing that my efforts stop (or it feels that way) when the student heads home.
My report cards are done and ready to be stuffed- they go home Friday. Conferences are next week- I may be strange but I absolutely enjoy parent-teacher conferences. Part of it has to do with the three day week for the kids.... :) but the majority of it has to do with the interaction with the families. It is so insightful sitting down with the moms, dads, whoever- gives me a whole new perspective on the child- for better and for worse.
On another note, who is excited for Halloween to be on a Monday??!!! hehe Wow... that will be interesting. We will also be celebrating 50's day that week, as well (which is so fun, I love it- a sock hop and root beer floats? Yes.)
In my 5% of my other life (other than my teaching life, that is), things are great. I wish I had more time to craft and to cook- currently cooking a pizza in the oven since Chris is gone- not good...- but I'm averaging 2-3 good home-cooked meals a week- not bad. Currently making this yummy recipe: pepperoni rigatoni from a friend from college's blog (she's a teacher with twins- guess I could be busier!!) :)
Hope all's well in your world. As for me, pizza and the couch it is.



I completely agree about conferences. I love meeting with the families and learning more about the kids. It's possible I learn more than I share sometimes!
ReplyDelete