Saturday, March 20, 2010

snowy saturday and a banana cream pie

mmmm mmmmm.... saturday morning home made frappucinos! i've been experimenting with these lately, once i get it down right- i'll share the recipe. :)

so as some of you may know, i have been getting into the domesticated world of cooking lately and am actually enjoying it. the trouble is finding the time.

question: especially for chelsie holste- how do you find people's blogs that do recipes? i'd love to 'follow' them and have them possibly follow me if this works!

my goal is to post some of the recipes i try on here so that you might try them yourself! tonight chris and i are having my family over for a yummy dinner i'm currently preparing!

the menu: 3 cheese penne pasta, crabberry pineapple minis (frozen salads), sauteed zuchini, and multigrain bread- and for dessert....!!!!

Low-Fat Banana Cream Pie!

9 reduced-fat graham crackers (i changed this up and am trying cinnamon crackers)
 
1/4 cup Brown Sugar

3 tablespoons of canola oil

2 ripe bananas, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces

1 package of non-fat or reduced-fat cream cheese

1 (4-serving size) fat-free, sugar-free instant Banana Cream pudding mix

1 cup low-fat or reduced-fat milk (i used skim)

Fat Free, Sugar Free Whipped Topping (optional)
1. Place the reduced-fat graham crackers into the bowl of your food processor and pulse 9 or 10 times in short blast to crush the crackers into a fine meal consistency. Add the Splenda Brown Sugar and pulse 3 or 4 more times to mix well. Add the canola oil and mix some more so that the crushed crackers begin to adhere together.

NOTE: If you do not have a food processor, you can use a sturdy zip lock bag. Place the Graham crackers inside and seal. With a can, rolling pin, or even a meat hammer, crush the pieces into small bits. Add the Splenda Brown Sugar and shake to mix well. Add the canola oil and mix some more so that the crushed crackers begin to adhere together.

2. Pour the crackers into a pie plate, and using a small glass or a spoon, press the mixture into the sides then the bottom to form the crust.

 

3. Layer the banana slices on the bottom and sides of the crust.




4. In a large bowl, whisk the pudding mix and ½ cup of the milk until smooth. Add the softened cream cheese and stir until it is lump-free. Add the remaining milk and beat until it is smooth and fluffy.



5. Pour the mixture over the bananas in the piecrust, cover with plastic wrap to prevent a “skin” from forming. Place pie into the *fridge* over night (or a minimum of 2 hours) to allow it to set up.



**Don't forget the covering! **


6. When you are ready to serve, you can either cover the top of the pie with the whipped topping, or just place individual dollops. Garnish with a couple of banana slices and a sprinkle of crushed Graham cracker if desired.


Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Alright, now back to life. :) Gotta get ready for a bridal shower in Ottawa. If you decide to try this, let me know what you think! Happy Saturday everyone!


GO CATS!

4 comments:

  1. And a delicious dinner it was!!! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan:

    I too have delved into domestic bliss and discovered a love for cooking (a big thanks, in part, to wonderful wedding presents!) Here are a few food bloggers that are a must, and I'm sure Chels will give you some more too:

    Pioneer Woman (pioneerwoman.com/cooking) I SWEAR by her food... but limit it to special treats because it's definitely not scale-friendly.


    Tasty Kitchen Blog (http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen-blog/) Great resource for recipe sharing!

    Blog Chef (www.blogchef.net) I made their Orange Chicken the other night... it was absolutely delectable!

    Kevin and Amanda recipes are great too, although she hasn't posted new recipes lately (kevinandamanda.com/recipes)

    These are my four favorites out of fourteen to which I currently subscribe. I also read some great baking blogs if you're interested!

    Look forward to seeing what you cook up! I am considering splitting my blog up this summer into one devoted to mathematics teaching and one to cooking. We'll see!

    Hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you!! To answer your question...I kind of just stumble upon the blogs. I usually find them on other people's blog lists along their sidebars. I have several on my blog list, so be sure to check them out!! Here are my favorites that I follow closely...

    http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/

    http://goodenessgracious.blogspot.com/

    http://gooseberrypatch.typepad.com/blog/ (they have a HUGE blog list on the righthand side full of cooking/crafting blogs)

    kevinandamanda.com/recipes (echoing cassie's recommendation!)

    pioneerwoman.com/cooking (def. agree with cassie! her cookbook is one to have on your shelf...I LOVE it!!)

    http://ladditude.blogspot.com/ (good friends of ours...Jill always has yummy, healthy recipes...she's a dietician)

    http://www.mommyskitchen.net/ (very good!!!)

    http://pattispantry.blogspot.com/

    http://picky-palate.com/ (LOVE it!!!)

    ENJOY and Happy Cooking!!! :oD

    Lots of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you say low fat, I am there, and I like bananas I am making this for my birthday next week.
    I am having a giveaway on my blog if you want to come by http://nf1andpre-kwhisper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

your comments brighten my day! thank you! :)