Have you read this book?
Well, I have. And let me tell you. Once you open this book up, it becomes an obession that leads to hours after work, on the weekends, hours on the internet looking for resources and ideas, and many trips to Target (and various other stores- cha ching cha ching...)
So we had 2 lovely snow days in a row here that I blogged briefly about- I survived day 2 by having an old friend from a school I used to work at over- she's an OT so it was interesting to talk with her about school from an OT point of view. Then one of my best buds, Kelly, saved me by driving over, picking me up, and driving me to Target and the Dollar Store- which is where I did the following damage:
Writing Center Galore!
- Write the Room clipboards (center)
- Dry-erase writing pads- for either the writing center or Word Work
- Cute writing pen for the writing center
- Cute dividers- can't get enough of these
The damage continues....
- 2 awesome tubs with carrying handles (can hold hanging folders)- one for my Sub Tub (that I am yet to finish) and the other for a center, undetermined
- Scrapbooking paper- to make cute center signs
- Trashcan to hold pointers for the Big Book Center and the Read the Room Center
A view of the loot:
- Pencil/pens/etc holder for the writing center
- Little baskets
- Clothespins for the Word Work Center (trying to figure out how to create a "clothing line" so the kids can hang up letters to make words)
- 100s day stuff! Hats to decorate, stickers
- Dry erase map of the USA
- Huge stack of flashcards for the Science Center, and also sight word flashcards
And the best part of all.... all of this was in the Target dollar section. The tubs were 6.99 each. So total??...
$49. Not bad huh? :) Pics of centers to come...!
**If you do literacy centers (or any centers at all) and have any great ideas or resources to share, please do!


I can totally relate to your shopping binge although I've never experienced a snow day here in Australia!
ReplyDeleteCheck out these sites
http://www.fcrr.org/Curriculum/studentCenterActivities.shtm
http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/Games/GamestoMake/games_to_make.htm
http://www.pocketfulofcenters.com/
The first link has amazing huge PDF documents full of activities.
Have fun!
And the Really Good Stuff catalogue
ReplyDeletehttp://www.reallygoodstuff.com/category/teacher+management+tools/debbie+diller.do
is where Debbie Diller sells her center materials. Not cheap like the dollar store and Target, though.
I have been obsessed with Debbie Diller for years. She is amazing! Really Good Stuff sales her management pocket chart kit and task cards.
ReplyDeleteWhat I love about the kit: a)It provides large sign images that match the pocket chart card images. Kids can easily identify where to go in the classroom. b) It provides a green and blue card for 15 minute rotations. This provides easy visual of what the kids should do 1st. c) It provides English on one side and Spanish on the other side for my ELL students. d) The pocket chart is two sided allowing me to use the same chart for Math Centers, YEAH!! d) It truly allows for independence.
I purchased the task cards separate. The task cards come with rings and a variety of activities for students to work on (differentiation). The task cards match the center/pocket chart icons. They come in English on one side and Spanish on the other side. The task cards will come with two versions for each center. One set will be for your emergent students and the other set will be for your advanced students. All cards have words and pictures to truly provide independence at centers.
Can you tell that I love Debbie Diller? I have looped with my students for several years. I purchased the 1st grade chart and it will work wonderfully with K-2.
Cheryl
www.saouds2ndgraders.blogspot.com
I love Debbie Diller and bought the same book over the summer! Her math centers is coming out in February!! I am so excited, I can't wait to get it!
ReplyDeleteGreat center ideas! I've never seen this book by her, but I have read Spaces & Places...all about organizing your classrooms, which I need lots of help with! :-)
ReplyDeleteJust came across your blog and wanted to say thank you! You all are very kind! I'm hard at work on another new book and hope to film a new video on math work stations next fall. Glad you're enjoying your snow days. I now live in Houston where we have none. (And sorry for all the stuff you bought. I'm a Target junkie myself!)
ReplyDelete