Thursday, July 28, 2011

Kindergarten Classroom Management- What works?

So it is about 1:00 a.m. here in good ol'  blazing hot Kansas and I'm typing away because my mind is racing.  I just got home from a wonderful night with some teacher friends where one of the main topics is teaching. :) It's a sick addiction that none of us can seem to kick! It's almost impossible not to talk about it.  Here is my dilemma and I would really appreciate any opinions you may have:

I want to start my year differently this year- with more black/white consequences/rules etc.  I use the "I Care" rules in my classroom (goes along with our counselor curriculum). 


I was brainstorming ideas with my friends about what is Kindergarten appropriate- the easiest way to manage it- parent communication- etc.  I'm thinking something along the lines of the card system (red yellow green) but something more K friendly- possibly with owls? :)

Also thinking that first semester I would fill in a sheet that goes home each night (for example, color in a happy, middle or sad face...or color in the color they finished on and write a note if needed)- and then second semester the kids will fill it in and I'll check it. 

Now I just need a plan!

What's your opinion or experience with Kindergarten management?  What do you think the best way is to ease them into school in a loving and chances-giving way while still holding them to predictable standards? What's worked for you?



3 comments:

  1. I know Kindergarten is a totally different world - as many of them are in school for the very first time! In my classroom, after we review the rules, I tell the kids that for the first week we are "practicing" and "learning" the rules, so they will get extra warnings. However, I always point out which rule they've "broken" and make sure they know why. For example, if a kiddo is talking while I am giving directions, I make sure to point out (in front of the class, but still in a kind way) that talking while the teacher is talking is not following our rule of being respectful. After the first week, I remind the kids that we've had lots of practice and reminders, so now they only have one warning when they aren't following a rule. After the warning, they have a consequence, no matter what. This has always worked for me - and my second graders. It may not work for Kindergarten, but at least that gives you an idea of how it works in my classroom!
    So sorry we didn't seem to be able to connect up this week. Totally my fault - I've been sleep-deprived with a baby who has suddenly forgotten how to sleep!! Hope to see you soon!
    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also - with the card system. I've seen teachers who do it individually on each kids' desk....rather than displayed in front of the class. This takes away a little of the shame of them having their card moved in front of the whole class. The teacher can go by their desk and move their card (owl, etc.) so they have a visual but it's not public knowledge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you find out something that works well, definitely let me know :) It's *really* hard to find good classroom management techniques that will work in Bulgaria, so I'm up for anything. I'll be teaching 2nd grade and 5th-8th graders, however things that work for Kindergartener's would probably be worth a shot! Definitely let me know if you find something, please and thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

your comments brighten my day! thank you! :)